8/6/10

Love to All!

You're all such good sports!  And, no, I'm not angry - more like itchy.  I have a vinyl rash!  haha.  The reason for my post below is that in doing my own research for our  upcoming Super Saturday (a big craft day in my church's women's organization), all I could find were other wards making vinyl lettering tiles.  There was an entire website dedicated to Super Saturday ideas and the only thing on the site were these tiles or projects that involved what else?  vinyl.  My Google reader updates are filled daily with vinyl lettering projects and giveaways and I guess I finally got itched out enough to say something!  Needless to say, our Super Saturday is next weekend and there isn't one vinyl project! {clap clap!}

Let me make very clear that I'm not opposed to vinyl lettering when it's done in moderation and with style - like the ADORABLE blocks that Jamielyn posted below.   Those are cute and I would love to make a set. However, like so many who agree with me have said, it's been over-used now and we're ready for the next new craze.  My idea?!  Okay, here it is...

Gargoyles!
...they protect your home...and all the vinyl within...and I'm pretty sure they'll keep the annoying fund raisers away...haha!  {just kidding, okay, I'm not against kids earning money...but seriously...}


5 comments:

Kimi said...

Gargoyles? Now there is a craft I could get behind. You could make them little outfits, you know for each of the different holidays...ya know, like a flag motif for the 4th of July, witches costume for Halloween.

I think you're onto something here!!

The Critchlow Family said...

I am in the SAME boat as you...and am trying to come up with some cute Super Saturday ideas! I feel like I am having one big brain fart deciding on what to do. Please share your ideas!!

Jen T said...

Please share your super Saturday ideas. We are looking at those washer stamped necklaces?

Elisabeth said...

I agree with you both on the overuse of vinyl (which I also think can be ok in EXTREMELY small quantities) and the annoyances of the fundraising. You should read Clover Lane, an awesome blog, and she has something to say about the fundraising stuff too. I love her solution- since so much $ ends up going to the companies, it really isn't that great of a deal for the school usually. So, she just writes a check to the school for the amount of buying a couple of things MINUS the amount the dumb catalog/whatever company charges as overhead. I think this is brilliant esp as I've already told my kids they are banned from begging money from anyone anymore. The really dumb thing is that everyone in the neighborhood goes to the same school, so who the heck are you supposed to sell stuff to anyway?! Anyhoo, I love the blog Clover Lane, she just tells it like it is and is SO organized. Good luck with Super Saturday, I wish we'd do that where I live!

Lila said...

I couldn't agree more! Amen.