7/29/08

That LIGHT


Thousands of Americans every day prepare for BATTLE. The focus is intense, we're NOT going to lose today...we are lean, mean, driving a speed machine. (well, not if you have a Ford Taurus.)

The battle I am speaking of is the Stop Light Fight. Does anybody have that ONE LIGHT that you fight with EVERY TIME YOU NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE?! (or is it just me that has this rage within me to smash stop lights with a big, long, spiky instrument?)

Okay, picture this with me: As I leave my subdivision, there's only ONE ROAD that takes me where I need to go. To my left are 3 lights within view; to my right are three lights WITHIN THREE FEET OF EACH OTHER. One light for the people at the gas station, one light for the people getting off the freeway, and another light for the other people getting off the freeway in the other direction. THIS ISN'T LOS ANGELES, folks.

The particular light I despise and wish to destroy is the light at the gas station. NOBODY EVER NEEDS IT. There is NEVER anybody waiting there, so why not put sensors on it or something?! I'm always racing off somewhere, usually late to something, and that light will GET ME every time. I sit there, cursing it, hating it, wishing I could be just a little less law-abiding and push on through it and defy the purpose of which it stands. But alas, I can't do it. I'm a chicken. So I wait. And I wait alone. Time moves slowly onward, as NOBODY is utilizing the green light on the other side. There are no cars - there never are.

All I have to keep me going are those sweet, small victories when I drive on through that light as it turns yellow. Only to stop at the next one 3 feet away. Hey - that's okay. As long as I beat the one at the gas station, I'm a winner.

5 comments:

Lynaya said...

I have the ability to take back or side roads everywhere that I want to go. When I actually have to drive through town on the highway with traffic lights, it wears me out. Whenever I am in Mesa, I have a hard time having to wait for stop lights. I can totally see how that one light can drive you crazy.

coryshay said...

wow I thought it was just me! I always speed through the first light because I know I'll get stopped at the second light by my house if I don't... I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Katie B said...

I know exactly how you feel! Mine isn't near as bad but we have a light that leaves our neighborhood that is on a timer all day long {unless you are out driving before 5am or after mid-night, then it's time sensitive. And I will sit there for atleast 5 min sometimes longer!! I will even go a longer way to get where I want to go just to avoid it!!

Laura said...

My sister has a light like that at her house and I hate it. It is red for about four min. and then is green for about 1 min. Long enough to let three cars go!!!
I HATE THAT LIGHT!

Kristine said...

Kevin has a curse that I have come to accept as apart of him. Whenever we are driving together we hit almost every light. It drives me crazy but then again that just leaves more time I get to spend with him I guess. :)