6/29/08

Summer Hydrangeas


Summer ROCKS. I can't describe the utter joy I feel to be in the middle of summer! It's warm outside, everything is in bloom, and I forgot what this kind of joy feels like!

Anyway - I took a picture of the hydrangea blooms right outside my front door yesterday. They're SO big, beautiful, and perfect! I would cut them all off and bring them inside to grace my table but I like how they splash color in my flower beds - so I'll leave them alone for a while.

(Also, I was goofing off with my camera and took these shots with the hood over my lens. Since the flowers were in a shady part, the hood helped block out light, which made everything around the flower darker. Cool trick, eh?!)






























I took the kids for a walk yesterday and took a few pics along the way. Amazing beauty all around us - how cool!

And WHY do I like this garden mushroom thingie? I don't know, but I absolutely love it!!! I keep waiting for little gnomes to peek out from behind, wearing something bright and colorful!
























This gigantic spruce tree is SO big - I had to share this photo. My kids are on the bottom left of this picture (sorry it's so bright). I couldn't fit the entire tree in the picture, nor did I feel like scooting backwards any further into this woman's yard in order to get the top of the tree - but you get the idea. It's HUGE! I love these giant spruces. The kids are a little freaked out because I told them that giant trolls live inside, waiting for someone to get close enough...



Mr. Robin stopped by on our walk to say hello.

And...at any moment, Mr. Rogers is going to pop out of his house wearing his "outdoor" sweater and shoes and wave a merry 'hello' to us! Ahh - that would be the perfect ending to our perfect neighborhood walk! What a day!

11 comments:

Chanda said...

What a great post - I love summer and I LOVE hydrangeas. I just planted two bushes in my backyard.

PS - scaring your kids about trolls is NOT a good way to get them to pose for a picture. But hilarious for me. ;)

valerie said...

Your flowers are so beautiful!!!

Shelly G said...

Your flower pictures are great... and the hood on in the shade is a trick I am going to have to try... I love hydrangeas... when I was a little girl my grandmother used to have a giant hydrangea plant and I always wanted to have one of those giant blue flowers... So pretty...

Yarni Gras! said...

he'd be singing too...Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood......
the pictures are amazing!

Jenni said...

I love the little mushroom thing too. I always love the summer, you would think that growing up in the desert it wouldn't be so but some of my best memories are of summer nights out at the ballpark. Or days up the mountain. Are you going home this summer? We don't get to, I am a bit sad, it will be the 1st year in the 11 years we have been married that I won't go back to, barring unforseen calamity of course. :) Ok...I see I have rambled. That a lovely day!

Nicol said...

Great pictures! I can't get my hydrangeas to grow. Do you do anything special to them?

The Hermyzoo! said...

Abby, I saw your name on Tia's blog and had to check and see if it was you. You are AWESOME! This blog is completely you, you are so inspiring! Where in Michigan are you. We lived in Rochester Hills for a summer, we had a good time. How's your family? What has you in Michigan? I am glad to have found your blog and look forward to enjoying it even more!!!! Take care
Tanya Hermansen (Senn)

Tara said...

I googled free apron patterns and somehow got to your blog. I love it and will be checking back often! I especially love how you refer to your home as your nest -A fellow LDS friend from Texas

missliss5/Melissa said...

I can't believe those flowers are right outside your front door. They are GORGEOUS! Your shots from your nature walk were super fun.

DeGooyer Family said...

Beautiful photos, Abby!!!

bluemagpie said...

Love your pics and troll story. :) Sounds like a nice walk. I am trying to hold out on cutting my hydrangeas to bring them indoors to dry until a little closer to fall.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Addi :)